“The California Community Colleges are at the forefront of online education in California, more so than any other segment of higher education in the state.” -Hans Johnson, a Public Policy Institute of California (PPIC) Senior FellowWelcome to the official web site for the Online Education Initiative.
The Online Education Initiative (OEI) is a collaborative effort among California Community Colleges (CCCs) to ensure that significantly more students are able to complete their educational goals by increasing both access to and success in high-quality online courses.
The OEI is sponsored by the Foothill-De Anza Community College District, in partnership with the Butte-Glenn Community College District and its CCC Technology Center at Butte College as recipients of a $56.9 million five-year grant disbursed by the California Community College Chancellor’s Office (CCCCO). The Online Education Initiative represents a comprehensive and collaborative program that leverages best practices and technology to significantly increase the opportunity for higher education degree attainment in California.
The OEI is composed of high quality online courses, resources for online students, and technology resources:
California Community Colleges may choose to participate in OEI activities by taking advantage of:
- Shared resources such as the OEI Course Design Rubric, Online Learner Readiness Tutorials and @ONE workshops OR
- Shared resources and adopt Canvas as their course management system OR
- Shared resources, adopt Canvas, and coming soon, participate in the OEI Consortium along with the Course Exchange.
- Always consider what is best for students.
- Engage in “agile” project management.
- Innovation is “messy”.
- Consider the big picture.
- Involve everyone in the process.
About California Community Colleges and CCC Distance Education
Distance Education Guidelines for California Community Colleges
Online Education Initiative Prime Agreement
Online Education Initiative RFA
Online Education Initiative Grant Proposal
TechEDge: PPIC Report, CCC Online Ed On Right Track
TechEDge: Where We’ve Been, Where We’re Going